Can Jira Issue validate fields within a sub-task

Tianhao Li June 6, 2012

My current situation is I have a custom workflow which include many statuses.

For each Jira issue, has some sub-tasks.

I want a validation mechanism, which can prevent the Issue going to the next statuses untill some certain custom fields have been validated. But the custom fields are not belong to Jira issue, they are belong to sub-tasks.

e.g. 1. There are statuses: A, B, C, D, etc for the workflow;

2. There is an issue X who has Y and Z as sub-task;

3. Sub-task Y has a and b as custom fields;

4. Sub-task Z has c and d as custom fields;

5. The issue X won't go from status A to status B until custom fields a, b, c and d are validated.

Anyone knows are there any good plugins or method I can do like this.

NB: I know there is a plugin called Jira Suite plugin which is powerful, I can do some validation on transition, but the fields validation are only for issues, not include sub-task custom fields.

Thanks.

3 answers

0 votes
Jozef Kotlár
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2012

Start with marvelours ScriptRunner plugin from Jamie Echlin, and prototype your ScriptValidator in Groovy.

Something like

import com.opensymphony.workflow.InvalidInputException

if (!issue.subTaskObjects*.summary.contains("Specific subtask")) { 
	invalidInputException = new InvalidInputException("No specific subtask!")
}

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2012

No, there's certainly nothing in the core of Jira which does this. (Barring the "block transition if any sub-tasks are in selected status").

I'm not aware of a plugin which will scan sub-task information either. I think you'll have to write something. I'd actually start with the code for the "subtask blocking condition" as that contains a good chunk of what you need, and all you'd need to do is modify it to work off custom fields instead of the status of the sub-tasks.

0 votes
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2012

I think, as of now there is no way to achieve this.

Suggest an answer