Can Jira Cloud attachements be store in an external source?

Vivek Pagare May 26, 2017

Since there is limited space on jira cloud, is there a way or any alternate solution where I can save all my attachments to an external source and link to them to the issues, for eg: storing in sharepoint and then linking to the issues in Jira, or any other possible workaroud?

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2017

Indirectly yes.  There is no problem with you uploading a file to a file-store somewhere and then putting a link into a JIRA issue that points to it.

You can't do it as an attachment in JIRA though, the attachment "field" there is only for files attached locally.

Vivek Pagare May 26, 2017

Thanks for your prompt response Nic, just for my understanding, How do you put a link between the issues and the files that are in a file-store?

We're in the process to upgrade from server to cloud and the attachements associated with our current jira server projects are more 100GB, so our idea is to keep the attachments on to an external source, Thus in Jira Cloud when required, these attachements can be seen with the respected issues.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2017

Go to an issue, and click "link" - you'll be able to link to another issue, or to a url! 

Obviously, your storage will need to expose the files over a url as well.

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 26, 2017

Hi Vivek,

The Cloud storage is pretty static and the Cloud team cannot attach extra storage for attachments.  I inquired about a work around and there isn't a way to link external attachments to the hosted JIRA instance.

That does sound like a great feature so I would also recomment you create a Suggestion on JAC so this functinality can be added in the future.

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer