Can JIRA &/or Confluence be accessed offline?

Shreena Patel November 1, 2012

Hi there,

I am just going through my IT disaster recovery procedure, as our internet was down this morning. We are using both products OnDemand. Is there a way JIRA and/or Confluence can work offline? We do backups each week, is there a way to run our data offline if we needed to in case of these kinds of emergencies?

Would appreciate your support.

Thanks,

Shreena

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2012

No. They are web applications and dynamic, so you need to have them running to see their data. "Offline", in the way most people mean it, is useless and irrelevant.

Disaster Recovery is a totally different thing. If you are running your own servers, then your Jira/Confluence licence includes provision for failing over to other backup services. You have said "OnDemand" here, so that's not an option - you are at the mercy of OnDemand's services (Although I suspect that they are pretty resilient and have provision for disasters)

0 votes
Felipe Cuozzo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2012

Hi Shreena,

You could use the backups to bring a Confluence/JIRA instance in-house for read-only access for example in case of a emergency like you cited, although there is no current feature that would allow you to latter re-sync the changes made on your local instance with the OnDemand hosted data.

So if you buy a OnPremisses license you would be able to access you data for emergency purposes for example, although this would only cover the disaster of not having internet access to the OnDemand hosting data-center.

On the other hand OnDemand is hosted in a 1st class DC with lots of safe-guards and we also do off-site backups that would prevent your data from being lost on our side. But if I understood correctly you are only concerned about the need to access data in case of a internet black-out.

Please refer to this page for more details: http://www.atlassian.com/hosted/security.jsp

Best Regards,
Felipe Cuozzo
Atlassian OnDemand Team

Suggest an answer