Can JIRA fire an event when the fixVersion field is changed?

Evelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2015

I was asked if JIRA could notify a group of users if the fixVersion of an issue is changed to a certain fixVersion. As far as I know events can be fired if an issue is changed and not if a single field was changed to some value.

Also if I add 'Schedule fixVersion' as a workflow transition with a special screen and configure the Fire Event function in the workflow's post functions, I have no parameter that is related to a field value.

Do I miss something? We are on JIRA Server.

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2015

> I like to generate a notification when the fixVersion field has be changed to certain value, for instance from V9 to V10 , and I haven't found a way to configure this.

Use a filter

fixVersion changed from V9 to V10 after -1h

and set up a hourly group subscription.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2015

or simply "fixversion changed after -1h"

Evelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2015

Ah! As simple as that! I used fixVersion changed to "yxz" AFTER -1h Thanks, Udo.

Dmitrii Apanasevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2015

Amazing!

Tim Jackson January 26, 2017

Apologies for resurrecting a thread zombie.

This works great except for the 'and set up a hourly group subscription' part.  Does anyone have advice on how to get the subscription to fire every hour?  I have tried to subscribe as an individual and as a group.  I have changed fixVersion on some issues and I can see them in the filter but when the end of the hour comes around no email gets sent.

Thanks in advance for any clues

2 votes
Simon Kegel //SEIBERT/MEDIA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2015

Hey Evelin,

you can do this if you just set the field in a workflow transition and fire an specific event in this transition as well.

With fixversion this should work. fixVersion should be set if the issue is resolved - so build a screen with fixVersion and show this screen in the issue resolved/closed transition (fixVersion is mandatory here ofc)
So you have your  "fix Version set"-Event  in this transition to inform your special group. (notification scheme)

Greets
Simon 

Evelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2015

Thanks - yes, I know, this would work when I like to be notified when a field changes at all. But the point is that I like to generate a notification when the fixVersion field has be changed to certain value, for instance from V9 to V10 , and I haven't found a way to configure this.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2015

I addition to what Simon said you would need to remove the field from the edit screen. So you make sure it only can be set during the transitions where the event will be fired.

Dmitrii Apanasevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2015

>But the point is that I like to generate a notification when the fixVersion field has be changed to certain >value, for instance from V9 to V10 , and I haven't found a way to configure this. It seems to me that there are no such features. You should do it via your custom plugin.

0 votes
Dmitrii Apanasevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2015

If you even change single field then JIRA fire ISSUE_UPDATED event. You need not to add special workflow transitions.

Evelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2015

Sorry, I don't understand. fixVersion is no custom field but one of the basic fields.

Dmitrii Apanasevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2015

I'm sorry too. I've changed answer. It doesn't matter what kind of changed field is. ISSUE_UPDATED event will be fired.

Simon Kegel //SEIBERT/MEDIA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2015

What Dmitrii means is to use Issue-updated event which is triggered every time a field of an issue is updated (but works with every field not exclusively fixVersion.

bsew June 18, 2015

Which is good, the Issue Updated event does happen when someone updates the issue and sets the Fix Version - but it doesn't appear that you can use Jira events to fire triggers, and initiate a workflow transition.

Suggest an answer