Can JIRA be set up to automatically create an issue based on the transition of a different issue?

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2017

I'm currently using JIRA in the cloud and this is the use case I'm trying to implement:  Project A contains two issue types (issue type A and issue type B) with different workflows. When a JIRA ticket of the Issue type A moves to status X, I'd like to automatically trigger the creation of a ticket of issue type B with the initial Status (e.g. Backlog).  Is it possible to implement this use case with JIRA? If so, can these two tickets be also automatically linked?

A (related) second use case would be to have the JIRA ticket of the issue type A to transition to status Y once the linked ticket of issue type B transitions to status Z.  Is this possible?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2017

You can't do it without add-ons.  There are a lot of add-ons in the marketplace that enable it though

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 12, 2017

Thanks, Nic. Any that you would recommend based on my use case?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 12, 2017

Any of them - your use case is moderately simple - create issue during a post-function.

If it was more complex with "if this, then don't create" or "create different types based on data on the issue", I'd recommend Script Runner for complete freedom to write any logic you want, or JMWE or Bob Swift's add-ons for advanced cases while avoiding having to write code.  But your case can use any of the "create issue on transition" add-ons in the marketplace.

0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2017

@Carlos Garcia Navarro, no Jira cannot do it by default.  I use Scriptrunner for this.  Check it out.

pd

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 12, 2017

Thanks, Peter!

0 votes
sivabalan N October 4, 2017

Dear Carlos,

Use Automation for JIRA plugin to achieve this. Just Create simple Rule.

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2017

Thanks, sivabalan. Do you know if there is any way to accomplish this without plugins?

Suggest an answer