Can JIRA and external MSSQL Database be on different Machines

Uday Karthik Yadlapalli November 4, 2014

I am installing JIRA for the first time on a machine dedicated just for JIRA.

And i have to use an existing external MSSQL Database, which is located on a different machine.

What are the changes i should make. In the context.xml, we give DB Name, username and password, how would i make JIRA access a remote connection of SQL server.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2014

Yes, they can be, as long as the DB machine is accessible from the JIRA server. You can use the config utility in bin folder to connect JIRA to the appropriate DB.

Thank you for your fast reply. So, Using JIRA>bin>config.bat i can open the JIRA Configuration Tool. In the Hostname column, instead of localhost should i give my DBservername? Or in the Database column, instead of DBname should i give DBservername/DBname?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2014

Checkout https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+JIRA+to+SQL+Server+2005 for more details (or the appropriate doc for your SQL Server version).

Hello i have checked those documents before, but they dint mention about how to specify an Instance. But someone in the comments did and i will try that. Thank you.

Suggest an answer