Can JIRA alter priority based on email subject keywords?

Will Currier May 7, 2014

Hi there. My company's JIRA is set up in a way that we have our priority on a 1-10 scale, one being super important, 10 being do it whenever.

I've seen how changing the message priority can affect the priority JIRA assigns (in our case, high priority gets a 2, regular a 7, and low a 9). However, is there a way to set the priority based on keywords in the email subject line?

For instance, "HOT" becomes a 2 priority, "IMPORTANT" is a 4, "LOW" an 8, nothing a 7, etc.

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2014

As always Andy's wiki provides the answer :

https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JEMH/JEMH+Directives#JEMHDirectives-Priority

You cannot do it with the basic Atlassian Email Handlers, but you can do it with the JEMH plugin and using the directives in the subject line.

Best regards,

Peter

2 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2014

You will have to write a custom email handler to achieve this. Check with Andy (author of JEMH plugin) to see if that is already possible ;)

0 votes
Will Currier May 7, 2014

Thanks both! I'm not our JIRA admin, just trying to help my boss find ways to improve the system. He'll bring it up to our JIRA people! Thanks again!

Suggest an answer