Can JIRA Software Server w/ Developer License for testing environment be on a private network?

Web_Dev January 4, 2018

Just trying to understand best practice for setting up the test environments using a Developer license on a VM cloned from a production JIRA Software instance.

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2018

Hi,

I'm not from a legal department but from what I know, the developer license is meant for a non production environment (which is not used for production purpose). That would simply mean that you can install it on any instance on a local or publicly exposed server as long as you don't do anything business related in that instance (testing is therefore OK even with production datasets). That's my understanding and how I used it in the past.

As of best practices, I'd say that there's no solution to fit all needs but it's usually a very similar instance eventually with production data imported regularly which might be used to test out solutions (configurations, updates, plugins...). The server details are up to your needs and budget, in a lot of cases it's on a server with lower performance as no massive usage should happen!

Hope this helps!

Web_Dev January 4, 2018

Thanks for the response.

I just didn't know if the developer license instance needed to ping the Atlassian servers at all for authentication.

We are concerned with security, and another public facing machine is another possible breach point to our network.  If it doesn't need to be public, we'll simply keep it completely local for testing, less risk.  If not, our network folks need to be aware when setting up the test machine.

Thanks again.

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2018

Understood. There's no need to be on the internet for your license to work. Even for a production license :)

Atlassian's way to handle licensing is based on trust and hypothetical auditing after fraud suspicion. Your instance will stop working (or mostly) if your license is expired or your user limit is broken.

Please feel free to mark this topic as answered if you don't need more details!

Have a great day :) 

Suggest an answer