Can JIRA Agile licenses be used for JIRA Service Desk agents?

Adam Pryce March 9, 2016

We have an existing JIRA 6 instance that is company wide. When we upgrade to 7 we would be interested in using our instance as both JIRA Agile and JIRA Service Desk with many of the same users in each. I understand they can live in the same server, but does the single license cover both sets of functionality?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2016

No.  The licences are separate, and independent, but the application licences include Core access.

Let's say you buy:

• 100 JIRA Core licences
  • 50 JIRA Software licences
  • 3 Service Desk Agents

You will have (assuming no overlap between Software and Service Desk)

• 153 people able to use Core
  • Up to 3 SD agents
  • 50 people who can use Software

In the case where one of your Agents is also a Service Desk Agent, then they will use up 1 Agent licence and 1 Software licence (and still be able to use Core of course)

Adam Pryce March 9, 2016

Ok, so if we want everyone to be able to act as agents that's really not feasible.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2016

Feasible, technically it's a "yes", but also very very expensive! 

If it helps, one option for Agents is to add "collaborators".  An agent go "hey, @dave, I need your help on this one" and as long as Dave is a JIRA user, they get elevated rights on that issue.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2016

I think Collaborators were removed in JIRA 7. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2016

You're right, I've been spending a lot of time with 6 recently.  To get a similar effect, you can include ordinary JIRA users in the role of Service Desk Team, and they'll get some access to the service desk issues.

Suggest an answer