Can Issues be created and edited via a SQL Server

James Malgieri May 2, 2019

A customer has thousands of records in a SQL db and wants to create new JIRA issues and import data directly in the custom issue fields via scripts.

I have always imported data into JIRA via CSV files.

Is it possible, or practical, to create new Issues and populate fields from a SQL database as new data is added to the SQL database?

Apart from CSV file imports, how do users usually get huge amounts of data into JIRA?

Thanks For your Help,

Jim

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2019

Hard to say what the numbers are, but I know people are using these a lot:

• CSV
  • Project imports second, usually aided by the apps that can bring in project configuration from other Jira systems
  • External scripts that post data via REST
  • Imports from other systems that Jira has importers for

No-one in their right mind does it with SQL - reading a database for issues to import is fine, but writing to a Jira database is a nightmare, cross that off the list now.

James Malgieri May 3, 2019

Nic, thank you for confirming "No-one in their right mind does it with SQL . . . writing to a Jira database is a nightmare". 

For the last year I've been doing CSV imports, have also used Project Configurator when needed, only slightly looked at REST and haven't needed to import from other systems, yet.

Thank you for your input.  I'm sure I'll be asking more qustions as I find out more.

Jim

Suggest an answer