Can Issue Type "Test" have a sub task as "sub test"?

monstermon April 6, 2015

While working on regression tests. I want the issue type "Test" to have a "Sub Test" just like a "Task" having a "Sub Task". 

This is important to group  small unit of test under one "mother/parent" test. Could this be possible?

3 answers

0 votes
monstermon April 7, 2015

ProposeLinkIssueTypes.jpg

0 votes
Swapna Kumar Vemula [Zephyr]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2015

Hi,

With the native functionality of Zephyr for JIRA, you cannot create a sub task of type TEST. As the Zephyr teststep field binds to the Test issue type id internally, a sub task of type Test cannot be created with these teststep fields.

If you want to achieve this, you can do this in another way by linking the testcases TESTA1, TESTA2, TESTA3 to the TEST A by creating a new link type something like "SUB TEST" with Outward Description  as "is a SubTest of" and Inward Description as "Contains SubTest/Tests" which appears as shown in the picture below once linked,

Link_Sub_Tests.png

Our Product Management team has been made aware of this feature request. They will review  the same for consideration. We appreciate your valuable feedback in making Zephyr for JIRA better.

Regards,

Zephyr Support

monstermon April 7, 2015

Thank you so much. I already made "Parent/Child" issue link type with "is parent to" as outward and "is child of" as inward. Appreciate you brought this to the development team. This will be a big help in terms of test case relationships. The sub type - "sub task" is really helpful and will be great if another sub type -"sub test" works the same as that.

monstermon April 7, 2015

Ooops, i might QA you on that - statement such as "is a <subtype> of" implies inward and the "Contains <subtype>" is outward :-)

0 votes
Sateesh Chandra April 6, 2015

Hi

Yes its possible Create a issuetype of type Test and a "Sub-Test" of type subtask. But you subtask will be accessible to other issuetypes as well. There is no way to bind

monstermon April 6, 2015

I have created it BUT the sub task - "sub test" works as a task only. That means theres no test case or steps in it. I am looking for a test within a test. not a task within a test

monstermon April 6, 2015

Example: Issue type : TEST A will have sub tests TESTA1, TESTA2, TESTA3. These TESTA1-3 can be tested individually but TESTA cannot proceed to be "Done" unless all of the subtest have been accomplished.

Like Nomli Ntlontlo likes this
Matheus Marques Colares January 5, 2018

This feature could be very useful. Was It implemented in actual Zephyr version?

Suggest an answer