Can I view/edit the JIRA Portfolio Theme field in JIRA?

Ian Viney April 18, 2017

In JIRA Portfolio I can define Themes and assign them to epics or stories. When I view those issues in JIRA, can I see the associated Theme there?

I looked in the Custom Fields but there isn't one called 'Theme'.

The documentation section Showing Portfolio custom fields in JIRA Software doesn't mention it.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ian Viney May 24, 2017

I received an answer from Atlassian on this question recently: 'The theme field actually isn't intended to be shown in JIRA Software.'

tamas daranyi May 25, 2017

Bad news. :(

My problem is that after creating a new issue I need to refresh manually and separately the portfolio every time, since for example a new story as a child under the epic with a given Theme label will not get the Theme label automatically.

So the report in this current format is totally useless unless I manually check all the issues in the backlog every time and add the Theme label one by one.

That's make this very painful.

Like Deb Hanrahan likes this
1 vote
Cătă December 5, 2018

Chiming in on this, as this seems like a very bad overlook.

There isn't currently a way to set a theme on an issue. I even tried adding a 'Theme' label-type custom field. It isn't taken into consideration by Portfolio.

Furthermore, the "nomenclature" page in this official docs page - https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/jira-portfolio-fundamentals leads nowhere and it's all dead ends, really.

Hopefully we'll get an official response soon.

0 votes
Matt_Roberts November 22, 2018

Any progress with this? 

Should I create a custom field in JIRA called 'Theme' and then sync ?

I want to filter issues that are set those themes

0 votes
tamas daranyi May 24, 2017

I'm also looking forward to get the answer from Atlassian support. It's very confusing, documentation is very poor.

Suggest an answer