Can I view JIRA issues and links in a tree as a nested list

Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2014

Can I view JIRA issues and links in a tree as a nested list; e.g.

- Project 1

-- Epic 1

--- Story 1

---- Task 1

--- Story 2

-- Epic 2

--- Story 3

---- Task 2

---- Task 3

- Project 2

-- Epic 3

--- Story 4

---- Task 4

10 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2014

You could also take a look at the Structure plugin :

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.almworks.jira.structure

Best regards,

Peter

1 vote
Cyndalia Fernandes March 10, 2020

Is there a free plug in available? 

1 vote
LUC FILION September 18, 2014

Impact for JIRA (http://bit.ly/1tYPzxu) does that.

Regards, 

Luc

1 vote
DanielP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2014

You should have a look at the Jira Links Hierarchy plugin. You'll find it here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.docminer.jira.issue-links

0 votes
Erik Unemyr_EMERGENCE July 20, 2022

Aside from earlier suggestions, you may now want to try out the newly released Move and Organize for Jira app that provides a dynamic view of your Jira projects in a tree hierarchy.

It allows you to visually overview and also edit on-the-fly (create, edit, recursively move, delete et c) issues. Zoom and pan the tree view quickly and smoothly using keyboard shortcuts and mouse drag-n-drop support that enable you to work very efficiently also with larger projects!

Support Standard Screenshot.png

Finally, it does not require any customization of your existing Jira projects - it plugs in directly for your users without making any non-standard customizations to the project or its issues.

With best regards,

Erik

Disclosure: I am a representative of the company offering this solution

0 votes
Shaili_RVS_Support October 1, 2020

Hi All,

For Jira server, you can use the addon.

Agile Tools - Epic Tree and issue Tracker 

It will provide you the below features

• Sum up your Epic's Time Spent, Original Estimate, Time Remaining, and Percent Complete
  • Display and manage Sprint/Epics/Issues of your project
  • Edit Issue summary, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree with real time updates in the progress
  • Rolled up percentage completion and at issue level as well

Epic Tree Screen_Hierarchy.png

0 votes
Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 5, 2019

Hi Eoin,

I put together a plugin called Agile Docs which does this. It lets you view your projects in a nested tree list.

It looks like this:

agile-docs-progress-report.png

Hope that helps!

tmaiaroto June 27, 2019

Or https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1220362/project-tree?hosting=cloud&tab=overview which is free... and yours. What's the difference?

Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 27, 2019

Hi Tom,

Project Tree is view only. It's an early version of Agile Docs.

Agile Docs works like an interactive word document. You can create and edit projects and issues. You can turn issues into a child of the issue above by pressing tab. It automatically creates links between tasks when you create a new task.

It's essentially like an interactive version of Project Tree which updates Jira in the background. 

Or as I think of it, 'the cool one' :P.

Senthil Kumar Nadarajan March 3, 2020

Does agile doc allows to export the data in excel /word format?

Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_
Marketplace Partner
March 3, 2020

Hi Senthil.

Not at the moment, but there is an export to PDF option.

0 votes
Legna Garcia March 27, 2018

Besides of hierarchy , is there any way to show the issue links as a tree?  I have an special issue type in the same level of user stories that is defined in a MAIN project and which contains relations to user stories from other projects. This means that this "special" issue type is cross-projects and the "relates" issue link refers to the user stories that other projects has to complete. Since this requirements are not big enough, I cannot move them as an Epics. How can I solve this? 

e.g: MAIN PROJECT contains:

Epic 1

-- <Issue Type> A 

--- Relates to User Story 1 in Project X

--- Relates to User Story 2 in Project Y

--- Relates to User Story 1 in Project Z

-- <Issue Type> B

--- Relates to User Story 4 in Project X

--- Relates to User Story 1 in Project Y

Thanks in advance!

Mathieu Yargeau March 27, 2018

Hello Legna,

You could use the Impact for Jira add-on, it does exactly that. You could have the main JQL search query be something like "project = KEY and issuetype = EPIC". This would display all your Epics in your project on the first level, then display the issues related to those epics on the second level, and other issues related to those issues on the third level, etc.

You can configure which issue links are displayed and which are ignored, and set the depth of levels.

Hopes this helps.

Legna Garcia March 27, 2018

do you have something for cloud version? "impact for jira" is available only for server version. 

thanks!

Mathieu Yargeau March 27, 2018

I am sorry, I didn't know you were on Cloud. There is no built-in solution in Jira to visualize the issues that way, and the only plugins I used that could do that (Impact and Structure) are only for Jira Server.

I suggest you do a search on the marketplace with some keywords like "issue tree" or something similar. Or you could create a new question on this board, since your question appeared as a new answer to an old question, so very few people will see it.

Legna Garcia April 13, 2018

Great, thanks @Mathieu Yargeau

Chris Cooke Old Street Apps
Marketplace Partner
June 11, 2019

@Legna Garcia 

I'd recommend you check out Panorama for hierarchy, nesting and structuring your Jira Cloud.

Let me know if it's suitable and would be happy to hear any feedback or questions you have.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219417/panorama-hierarchy-structure-for-jira

0 votes
Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2014

Search for "link" in marketplace.atlassian.com to get a list of plugins that can do this.

Suggest an answer