Can I use my JIRA 4.4.4 database for JIRA 5.0.x?

Deleted user June 28, 2012

I'm upgrading from JIRA 4.4.4 to JIRA 5.0.x and migrating from Windows 2003 32-bit version to Windows 2008 64-bit version of JIRA. According to the upgrade instructions, I need to start out with a new clean database but I'm not sure why. Can I still use my JIRA 4.4.4 database for JIRA 5.0.x or did the schema change again requiring a d/b change?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2012

It changes on (almost) every mid-level release (e.g. 4.3 to 4.4) let alone on the mahor numbers like 4 to 5!

But you don't need to change the schema yourself, a new Jira looks at it's database, thinks "hmm, old version data" and does the upgrade and changes for you. This has worked for many releases (I've been working with it since 2.7) with the notable exception of 3.6 -> 3.7, and has, in my experience, been quite stable as long as you don't try to jump too many versions. It is now the recommended way to do it (xml export was the recomendation until quite recently)

Deleted user June 28, 2012

So do I have to start with an empty database as mentioned in the documentation or can I just point to the current one with 5.0.6?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2012

Either. If you start empty, you'll need to think about importing the data from XML. If you start with data in there, Jira will spot it and upgrade it.

Whatever you do, make sure you have a good solid, and ideall, tested, backup before you start the new installation of Jira - there's no reversing an upgrade attempt.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2012

The reason it says so is because you are moving the server as well. You should be fine using the same DB from jira 4.4.4 to 5.0.

Make sure you take a DB backup before you upgrade and test it before you actually do it ;)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events