Can I use different workflows for story and sub task

Nova December 8, 2021

I want to track the progress of a story and it's sub tasks in a Kanban board. I created swim lanes where I have added story and subtask.

When I am closing all the subtask the story is closing on its' own.

Subtask need to show up in the Columns on Kanban board: To Do, In Progress, In Review, Dev Done. At this point I want to close all the subtasks. But I want the Story to stay open and follow the below columns:

Story need to show up in the Columns on Kanban board: To Do, In Progress, In Review, QA Ready, In Testing, UAT, Done - at this point I want to close my story.

Can we have two different workflows in Kanban board for the above approach

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2021

you can certainly have separate workflows. however, if your story is auto-closing once sub-tasks are done then this is not caused by default. you may have some automation rule or workflow post function doing this.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2021

Hi @Nova ,

You can partially but they will share the board and columns. 

Essentially, you will have these columns in your Kanban board as a merge between the two workflows:

To do, In Progress, In review, Dev, QA Ready, In Testing , UAT, Done.

This will work with both workflows. This is same also with different issue types as well.

-Ben

Nova December 8, 2021

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I want to use the story swim lane on Kannan board for the high level status.

I am merging the statuses. When I am opening the swim lane by stories it is still showing all its subtasks also on the Kannan board which is looking very crowded.  
Is there a way that I can only see the stories in the status columns under stories swim lane?

Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2021

I believe you can use quick filters to just show the issue type you want.

Just set your quick filters JQL as "issue type = story".

-Ben

Suggest an answer