Can I use custom issue types in Jira Portfolio hierarchies?

AdminTeam EMC October 16, 2017

Is there any way to configure Jira Portfolio to use custom issue types in project portfolio hierarchies? This documentation page does not explain how to do this. Any the Jira Issue Types in "Portfolio -> Administration -> Portfolio Hierarchy Configuration" do not include any of the custom issue types we have defined.

For instance, for strategic planning purposes, we have a Jira project whose two custom issue types are "Project" and "Deliverable". I would like "Project" to replace "Epic" and "Deliverable" to replace "Story" (functionally speaking.)

1 answer

1 vote
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2017

I don’t think this is possible. Links between Epics and Story’s are technically implemented in a different way than any other issue type link. As such, Portfolios reliance on it wouldn’t allow for that kind of change. However, I’m not certain, this is an educated guess.

AdminTeam EMC October 17, 2017

Thanks. I was afraid that would be the case. I would like to understand better how Epics and Storys are special; I mean, I know how they are used in Agile development, but I'd like to understand how that translates into special treatment as Jira issue types. If there are any good links to follow, I would appreciate some pointers. And thanks again.

Suggest an answer