Can I use a one-way authentication between Jira and Crowd?

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2012

Hi,

Does anyone know if Jira and Crowd need a 2-way communication, or can I use one-way? The reason is that I have Jira in a prod environment, and crowd in a DMZ. The DMZ is not allowed to talk to prod, but prod can reach out to DMZ.

I figured if Jira makes requests to Crowd for Syncs, this should work.

Any caveats?

If 2-way is require, can someone explain why? I'd need to convice our Security department if I wanted 2-way ports opened.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
joe
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 16, 2012

JIRA needs to be registered as an application in Crowd, so Crowd needs to know the IP address JIRA's requests will be coming from. Crowd won't initiate any outgoing requests to JIRA and a one-way connection will be fine.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2012

For JIRA - Crowd integration to work, JIRA must be registered as a valid client in Crowd. And for that, Crowd must recognize JIRA ip. It won't wok unless Crowd can reach JIRA.

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2012

Thanks Jobin. Do you have specifics on what ports/ type of connection you need between the 2? For example, does Crowd just need basic information from Jira like ping, or does it need more of a full data connection? I'm not looking for what the installation guide says per se, but rather the minimum requirement..

Thanks!

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2012

I am not sure about that level of detail, unfortunately.

Suggest an answer