Can I use a one-way authentication between Jira and Crowd?

Hi,

Does anyone know if Jira and Crowd need a 2-way communication, or can I use one-way? The reason is that I have Jira in a prod environment, and crowd in a DMZ. The DMZ is not allowed to talk to prod, but prod can reach out to DMZ.

I figured if Jira makes requests to Crowd for Syncs, this should work.

Any caveats?

If 2-way is require, can someone explain why? I'd need to convice our Security department if I wanted 2-way ports opened.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote

JIRA needs to be registered as an application in Crowd, so Crowd needs to know the IP address JIRA's requests will be coming from. Crowd won't initiate any outgoing requests to JIRA and a one-way connection will be fine.

0 vote

For JIRA - Crowd integration to work, JIRA must be registered as a valid client in Crowd. And for that, Crowd must recognize JIRA ip. It won't wok unless Crowd can reach JIRA.

Thanks Jobin. Do you have specifics on what ports/ type of connection you need between the 2? For example, does Crowd just need basic information from Jira like ping, or does it need more of a full data connection? I'm not looking for what the installation guide says per se, but rather the minimum requirement..

Thanks!

I am not sure about that level of detail, unfortunately.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Sunday in Agility

You asked for it, so we delivered: images on issues have arrived

A picture tells a thousand words. And agility boards have just released their latest feature: cover images on issues – so now your board can tell a story at first glance. Upload attachmen...

920 views 3 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you