Can I use Jira standard mail handlers with Jira cloud?

Michael Repucci March 11, 2015

I've got JIRA Agile plus Service Desk hosted by Atlassian on the cloud. The default mail handler is setup to handle "Comments from Emails" through the "Cloud Email Handler". I'd prefer to configure the mail handler to use the "Add a comment from the non quoted email body" handler, but I'm concerned that it won't work in the cloud, and couldn't find any documentation on the "Cloud Email Handler" or, for that matter, the "Service Desk Mail Handler". Can somebody please explain to me what my options are?

2 answers

1 vote
mlavender March 11, 2015

Hi Michael

You can find more information on JIRA mail handlers here:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/Cloud/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email

My apologies if you have already looked at this documentation. The email handlers for JIRA Cloud will function the same way email handlers function in JIRA Server. Please keep in mind that we are working towards enhancing our email handlers across both JIRA platforms.

I hope this information helps you out. If you have any other questions regarding this, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers
Marty 

Michael Repucci March 11, 2015

The documentation you linked doesn't describe the {{Cloud Email Handler}} or {{Service Desk Mail Handler}}, and since the default handler setup on my cloud instance is {{Cloud Email Handler}}, I was worried that if I changed it to {{Add a comment from the non quoted email body}} or another non-cloud option it would break. Is that not the case?

Angus March 17, 2015

I have the same question. Should I change the existing {{Cloud Email Handler}} or add an additional handler?

Sean Lively March 25, 2015

I'm also looking for documentation for {{Cloud Email Handler}}, since it's not actually in the documentation :)

David Jackson March 25, 2015

I also agree. Can we get more info on this? I've actually already spoken with Support after trying to create a Mail Handler that strips email replies/comments from a specific character because we don't use characters in our company's email to designate the quoted part of a message (just means if you reply to an email to comment, you get the whole email every time). However we also have an email handler to create new tickets for another use-case. After creation, they BOTH initially work, but both break within an hour. This is a confirmed bug now https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-42491. Vote for it! Can we get more info about the Cloud Email Handler (and how it works) as well? This post is the ONLY info returned from google with that phrase in addition to the word 'jira' when searched for!! I've tried editing the Cloud Handler to include the "Split Regex: /From: /" command that we need, but it doesn't appear to work.

Piotr Klimkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2015

I didn't notice this question earlier as it's not tagged with mail handler. But I guess it's better late than never. So, this "Cloud Email Handler" is just a "Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue" slightly modified when it comes to finding reporter user by email sender address but that's not relevant here. The key thing is that "Split regex" option won't work for this mail handler. Check out the link from Marty about available handlers and their configuration options. You can add another mail handler if you like, just make sure it uses a separate pop/imap mailbox. Having multiple mail handlers for the same inbox is guaranteed to cause problem and even if you remove this "Cloud Email Handler" it will be re-instantiated after restart.

David Jackson July 7, 2015

Thanks @Piotr Klimkowski for the response. I've looked at Marty's link several dozen times actually but it doesn't address this issue, which is why I asked. If anything I'm surprised the "create comment after specific point" is even mentioned in the Cloud documentation because I've since been told by another Atlassian employee that Cloud instances don't actually support that type of mail handler, so it's confusing for it to be on that page.

MarcelW April 21, 2016

@Marty Lavender [Atlassian]  That link you posted doesn't exist.  Can you fix it?

0 votes
Arne Wichmann November 5, 2015

For my Cloud Instance, the "normal" Mail Handlers can be configured and will work for a while, but will then change without notice to the UNDOCUMENTED "Cloud Email Handler", which does not work.

Rodrigo Zuini September 9, 2020

{Cloud Email Handler} still not documented ... maybe 5 year was not enought :(

Suggest an answer