Can I update the story points of a ticket after it is closed?

Noam Guttman December 29, 2019

Hi all,

Can the story points be modified after the ticket is closed (and the sprint is still active), or is it necessary to re-open the ticket and then modify the points?

Same question if there aren't any story points to begin with?

Thanks!

-Noam

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nich Hogue
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2019

Story Points is just a field so you should be able to edit it. This is providing your workflow step allows it to be edited. If your issue is not editable when it's in a closed status, check the status properties. In there you can define if an issue can be edited when it's in that status. If that exists then yes you would have to re-open to edit and then re-close. Removing this property would allow you to edit the issue in it's status.

If this is something you see happening frequently due to trying to help calculate issue weight estimates down the road. You could create a, "Change Story Points" transition, or something that you prefer the wording of that transitions back into it's self, with a screen that only has the story points field. So rather than a full edit you can just use that loop transition to update that one field. Then fire off any sort of events, or post functions, notifications, that may be related to tracking this. 

Just some ideas, hope this helps out. 

Noam Guttman December 30, 2019

Hey @Nich Hogue ,

Thanks for the info.

I tried to update the "closed" status properties, but it seems that I don't have the proper permissions. Please see the screen shot below.

Does this mean that I need to ask the admins to make this change?

Best,

-Noam

Delete.PNG

Nich Hogue
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2019

Hello, @Noam Guttman 

Yes in that case you would have to ask your admin to make the change and they should be able to make the adjustment they fits best.

Hope this helps

-Nich

0 votes
Answer accepted
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 29, 2019

Hi @Noam Guttman

This can be done in both scenarios. Could I ask why you would want to change Story Points after the ticket is closed?

Thanks,

Danny

Noam Guttman December 30, 2019

Hi Danny,

Thanks for replying. I mainly would like to give the team members an option to update the actual story points they required in order to resolve the ticket, in case they closed it without updating the points.

I use it mainly for the burn-down chart and for statistical analysis of the tickets.

Thanks!

-Noam

Delete.PNG

Like Danny likes this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 1, 2020

Thanks for the explanation @Noam Guttman

I agree with with Nich's method on this scenario, you could go one step further a make it part of your formal process within the issue's workflow transition;

1) When transitioning to Closed, there could be a Validator set up so ask the user to update the Story Point field.

OR 

2) You could set up a self-reflecting transition and a transition screen with the Story Point field so it can be updated if needed AND the workflow property jira.issue.editable set on the status Closed so no more editing can be done once the issue is within that particular state apart from using the self-reflecting transition.

I could be over-engineering the scenario here though it does give you options. You would need a Jira Admin to set this up on the workflow.

Thanks,

Danny

Like Noam Guttman likes this

Suggest an answer