Can I update JIRA plugins from a script?

Anthony Mastrean April 7, 2014

I've got a really old, misbehaving JIRA instance being used for "production" quality work, so it has to stay up and have defined change windows/policies. I'm trying to keep the plugins up-to-date (at least), but often, I have to restart the service after an update even if the plugin updater doesn't recommend/require it.

I've scheduled JIRA restarts before using the `at` command in my linux distro. I'd like to schedule a plugin update and a restart together using any other bash/shell commands necessary.

Is this possible?

Also, is there any comprehensive documentation on CLI options for administrators? I couldn't find any.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2014

I would create a script which downloads newest version of plugins (*.jar) which you use. Then - when jira restarts - copy those JARs to [jira-home]/plugins/installed-plugins directory.

Anthony Mastrean April 7, 2014

Is it that easy? The plugins are competely self-contained JARs? There's no scripted upgrade that happens as part of the plugin manager upgrading it?

Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2014

Yes. If scripts are needed - they will be executed upon jira startup. If you will eventually exeprience problems try adding to script to delete plugin cache directory, but I'm quite sure it will be ok even without it.

0 votes
Michael Simon
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2014
There is also a CLI tool by Bob Swift that I believe has plug-in update/install abilities.
Anthony Mastrean April 10, 2014

I am familiar with those tools, but I wasn't able to find any plugin features in the CLI documentation.

Suggest an answer