Can I trigger updates in workflow status based on completion of linked tickets?

Paul Shrimpton March 16, 2016

Hi, I'm trying to set up a new project issue system and process. The way we need this to work is as follows:

1. We have a JIRA Project (IT Solutions) where all project initialisation and analysis takes place. Every project request will be assigned an ITS ticket.
  2. When we pass Analysis and Specification, we need to manage development. These are system-related, with different types of development (content, .Net, UI, etc) and each of these have their own project stream in Jira. These will be managed on separate tickets within the different projects from New Development through to Closed-Done.
  3. Once the above tickets are marked as Closed-Done, we want to trigger a status change in the ITS ticket to Ready for QA, so that the test team can pick them up and progress through to deployment.

My question is - whilst I know that I can't set the development tickets up as sub-tasks because they will be in a different JIRA project (this is necessary due to our internal org and reporting structure), can I link the tickets and then use the status value (Closed-Done) in one workflow of the linked ticket to trigger a change in the workflow status in the main ITS ticket? 

3 answers

0 votes
Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2017

Please, create an issue at http://support.workflowarts.com, and attach the following screenshots:

* The error message you are getting.

* The validator configuration.

Please, also tell the version of JIRA and JIRA Workflow Toolbox you are using.

Thanks.

0 votes
perdue_brandon_vast-inc_com July 4, 2017

Hi Fidel - 

I am trying to do the same thing. I am having a problem when I use the "Validation on Linked Issues" validator. 

When I set up this validator I get an unexplained "workflow error" in my workflow, which doesn't allow me to transition my Issue to Done.

Any idea where this kind of workflow error would come from?

0 votes
Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2016

Hi Paul,

Yes, you can do it using JIRA Workflow Toolbox plugin. There is more than one one to do it, but I think the most suitable is:

1) Use "Validation on linked issues" in transition to "Ready for QA" status in project ITS in order to block the transition while there are system related linked issues still not in "Closed-Done" status.

2) Add "Write field on linked issues or subtasks" post-function in transitions to "Closed-Done" status in the workflows of system related issues linked to issue in project ITS, in order to try to make progress the ITS issue to "Ready for QA" status each time a system related issue is closed. Only when the validator validator described in the previous step will be satisfied, the ITS issue will actually move to "Ready for QA" status.

In this post-function you will need to use as target field "Issue status (delayed writing)" or "Execute transition (delayed execution)". You have a similar use case explained in detail here.

If you have any doubts about how to do it, please give me more details of your use case and I will explain you exactly how to do it. The details I need are:

• Issue types of system related issues.
  • Issue link types used to link ITS issue with system related issues.

Suggest an answer