Can I track progress toward milestones in a single release?

My team is working on the 1.0 release of a product and we'd like to track our progress toward a few milestones between now and the planned release date. For example, between now and milestone #1, we'd be trying to get 25 stories done and we'd want to know if we're on track to get them done by that time. It would be similar to tracking progress on epics using the epic burndown chart or progress on versions on the version report, but these stories will span several epics and they are all in a single version.

Is there a way to do this in JIRA Agile?

Thanks

5 answers

1 accepted

Jim, You might try creating an overall version, and a separate version for each "milestone".  "Version 1.0" would use the overall start and end dates.  "Version 0.1" would include the first set of milestone dates, "Version 0.2" the second set of milestone dates, etc.  You can include a backlog item (JIRA issue) in multiple versions (drag-n-drop in the Backlog view, no duplication required) and so should be able to track progress toward completion of each milestone AND the overall release.  Give it a shot and let me know how it works.

If I drag a story from one version to another, it changes the version. But if I edit the story I discovered that I can specify more than one version. I didn't realize I could do that until you mentioned this so, thank you! Any idea why I dragging and dropping doesn't work the same way for me?

I create a Version in JIRA, build a backlog of stories that cross several epics and plan sprints to do the work.  JIRA Agile does this well and the built-in charts and reports should provide you with all the tracking and reporting you need.

Thanks for the response, Ed. I was thinking I might try that. I'd prefer to have one single release chart for 1.0 so I can see the progress from start to finish and see where milestones on that chart are relative to the trend line but this may have to do.

Hey Jim.  Well, our installation was just upgraded to Jira 6.2.7.  I ran the sequence I described to you and it no longer works. Before the upgrade if I dragged "MYPROJ-1" onto "MYVERSION 1.0", then dragged "MYPROJ-1" onto "MYVERSION 0.1" the "Plan" view showed "2 Versions" or words to that effect.  Since the upgrade I'm seeing the behavior you describe.  Being able to edit the FixVersion is the saving grace, so thank you for exposing the problem for me.

If anyone from Atlassian is watching, this particular aspect of the upgrade was not an improvement, and IMO is a significant loss of functionality for some.

Agreed, Ed. That's not an improvement at all. While I'm glad that I can Edit a story and add multiple releases to it, that's much more tedious than drag and dropping. Thanks for the help, Ed. I'm going your suggestion and I have a feeling it's going to work.

Ed, in case you're interested, there appears to be a bug in JIRA 6.3.3 with the totals that should be displayed in plan mode. I now have a bunch of stories in milestone releases but the totals are all 0:

bad-totals.png

Your suggestion will still help me a lot though - thanks again.

Jim

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Apr 17, 2018 in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

771 views 2 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you