Can I skip the JIRA 6.4 setup dance?

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2015

When I install a clean, shiny new JIRA 6.4 I get a 12-step series of windows that I have to click on. This could be useful for a new administrator but it's really not intended for people who just want to install JIRA.

Is there anyway to avoid this? It seems to be in WelcomeToJIRA.jspa

2 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 12, 2015

It is currently possible to disable it using a dark feature:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/How+to+Disable+User+Onboarding+in+JIRA+6.4

Dark features are usually temporary things, so I wouldn't count on it sticking around forever.  I've been just holding down the enter key whenever I run into it; at least they gave us that option...

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2015

Thank you, thank you!

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2015

Can dark features be set from a parameter at start up or JIRA.config.properties

crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 12, 2015

A glance at the code suggests that site-wide dark features can be set by defining a system property of the form "atlassian.darkfeature.whatever-the-feature-is", so I guess that would be "-Datlassian.darkfeature.jira.onboarding.feature.disabled=true" -- but I haven't tried this, myself.

Andriy Yakovlev _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
May 12, 2015

Just checked with recent Jira 6.4.4 "-Datlassian.darkfeature.jira.onboarding.feature.disabled=true" works fine Thanks!

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2015

That setting in bin/setenv.sh worked nicely, thank you. It will be part of my standard configuration now, because there should have been a Skip All button with this new feature. I think that forcing everyone to click or press Return twelve times to get started is a poor design decision.

crf
Atlassian Team
May 13, 2015

I agree 100%. The decision not to include a way to cancel it was deliberate and based on several factors, including data demonstrating that it is actually effective in introducing new users to the key features of the product and successful and helping them become proficient more quickly. Whether that is worth the cost of annoying other users is a question that is considered "asked and answered" internally, and my side lost the argument. These stray comments on answers, however, are unlikely to draw any significant attention towards reconsidering that decision. I think that you should object more directly, and wish you luck. :)

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2015

Thank you. When we've all had a few drinks I shall bore some poor JIRA PM about it at the next Summit. You can give them an early warning if you want to!

0 votes
Geoff Williams January 14, 2020

You can also skip the setup wizard by browsing to "real" within Jira - eg:

http://localhost:2990/jira/secure/project/ViewProjects.jspa

Would be really nice to have a skip button that that did this

Suggest an answer