Can I set the Assignee field to connect to an outside database?

craig lemay September 25, 2017

Hello, I'm trying to set up JIRA to connect to an outside database, either through a RESTFUL service, or some other method, rather than defaulting to the users I've created within JIRA itself.

Is this possible through a use of a plug-in or some other method.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2017

No, the assignee field is a system field which uses the user directory directly, it's hard-wired as a core function in Jira.

You could make the assignee redundant (hide it in all field config schemes), and use another field that can connect to an external database, but that field would not see the contents as "users" the way Jira understands them.

Good know. Thanks for the information.

One last question. What's the easiest way to connect a custom field to an external database? Is there a plug-in to facilitate that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2017

Yes, there are two "database custom fields" in the marketplace I've used which both allow you to build field contents from other databases, and there may be more.  Well worth a look!

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 25, 2017

Have a look at the table grid editor,  which allows to connect to multiple external databases.

The multi level cascading field allows you to set-up almost any type of dynamic drop down.

Francis

PS. I'm part of the team delivering this app

Thanks to both of you, you've been a huge help!

Suggest an answer