Can I set an Issue Status based on the Issue Type

Kathleen Jacobs June 4, 2013

We want to keep one workflow for our project to make switching between them easier when we change the issue type.

Is there a way to make it so based on the issue type, the ticket will go to a different status when it's created? Through script or plugin?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2013

You could have the same list of status in two workflows, but with two different landing places for "create".

You don't even want to start on subverting the target of a transition though - I've never seen it work, and never seen anything remotely simple for even starting to make it work

Simple way I'd do it is a listener - issues all get created as normal and land in status 1. The listener picks up the create event, looks at the issue type and if it's the right one, pushes the issue through a transition to status 2.

Kathleen Jacobs June 4, 2013

Is there a tutorial or something on how i would setup a listener for this? I'm pretty new to using listeners (Just moved to hosting)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2013

Listeners generally need a spot of coding in order to meet the business requirements. There's ways to make this easy (use existing ones, use the scripting plugin, etc) but I'm not sure what you mean by "hosting". If you're using someone else to privude your Jira, they may not allow the installation of anything you might find or write. If you mean you're hosting it on your own kit, you can do whatever you want!

0 votes
Kathleen Jacobs June 10, 2013

I used Script Runner existing Post Function Script: Fast-track transition an issue

Suggest an answer