Can I see commits if I moved the JIRA issue to a different project?

Stefan Egli December 5, 2012

Assume I have some commits like this:

XY-24 commit 3
XY-24 commit 2
XY-24 commit 1

These commits are visible in JIRA (if configured properly with FishEye).

What happens now if I move this issue to another project and thus get a new Issue Key? I know that I can still use the old issue key to find the issue in JIRA, but what happens with the commits? Are they still visible?

(I am curerntly not setup to test this myself. Any help is appreciated.)

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Felipe Kraemer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2012

Hi Stefan,

I've just tried this myseld with local instances, and it worked for me. These were the steps I've followed:

1. I had a JIRA project whose key was JIRAONE.
  2. Created a second project in my JIRA instance, whose key is JIRATWO.
  3. Linked JIRATWO with the same FishEye repository and Crucible project that JIRAONE is linked to.
  4. Moved the issue JIRAONE-1 to project JIRATWO, and the key became JIRATWO-1.
  5. The Source tab of the issue JIRATWO-1 still displayed changesets that mention JIRAONE-1 in their commit messages
  6. The Reviews tab of the issue JIRATWO-1 still displayed reviews that mention JIRAONE-1 in their title.

This was tried using FishEye 2.8.0 and JIRA 4.4.5 and, as far as I can tell, this was not changed in newer versions.

If you face any problems, don't hesitate to create a support issue.

Cheers,
Felipe Kraemer

Stefan Egli December 11, 2012

I am glad it works this way. Thank you very much for your effort.

1 vote
Robbie E Lee November 29, 2017

One issue with this seems to be...

We have the following conditions in the workflow against a transition: 

• This transition will only execute if code has been committed against this issue.
  • This transition will only execute if there are no Open Crucible reviews related to this issue.
  • This transition will only execute if there are no unreviewed changesets related to this issue.

User A commits code against ProjectA-123. User A moves ProjectA-123 to a different project. The issue key becomes ProjectB-456. Since the commit is against ProjectA-123, JIRA treats the issue as if it has no commits against ProjectB-456.

Suggest an answer