Can I retrieve a list of users for a project

gstv March 3, 2017

If it's possible to get the list of actual users assigned to a project?

User ID / username / email. Any type of a user identificator.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2017

No.

Even if you were able to, "assigned to a project" is too simple to be a useful starting point.  If it means "people who can see the project", you need to check roles, groups, permission scheme, other dynamic roles and and and...

gstv March 5, 2017

Thanks, Nic. I need to grab a list of people related to a particular through API. 

At the moment I'm looking for this method https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/cloud/#api/2/user-findUsers though not sure that it can be used for my good.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2017

You need to start with a definition of "assigned to project"

gstv March 6, 2017

I mean people to whom I can assign an issue within a scope the project. Say team members.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2017

Right, so that's not a simple "users in project", and it's a variable that can depend on the issue and not just the project.

To explain it - to get that list, read the permission scheme to see the rules for "can be assigned an issue" - this could be a role, a group, a user, the project lead, members of a user custom field, reporter, assignee, and a couple of other things I can't remember.  You'll need to look at each one of those in turn to find out who might appear on the list.

You can make JIRA do this for you by asking, over REST, for a list of people who could be the assignee for an issue.

gstv March 6, 2017

Morning, Nic.

This endpoint from the Cloud API, solved the problem: 

https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/cloud/#api/2/user-findBulkAssignableUsers

Any thoughts if the similar one exists for JIRA Server?

Appreciate your time and efforts.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2017

Mmm, it's not quite right, but close enough in most cases.  You can use the same call on a server installation, although you may need to check the version - if it's very old, it may not have the call available.

Suggest an answer