Can I restrict a kind of issues to be accessed by a group people?

Frank Yu May 19, 2016

I have a project, in which many functional people work on it. A field "From Functional Team" in issue screen is associated with each issue, for example, From Functional Team - BA, From Functional Team - Dev, From Functional Team - Testing, From Functional Team - QA....

I also set up a couple of user groups by functional team, such as QA group. Now I hope QA group members can only see the issues involved in QA team, can I use the field "From Functional Team - QA" as a condition to restrict people access the "QA" issues, except QA group? Thanks for your feedback. 

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2016

IT's a bit of a faff, but you can do it.

You could set up an "issue security scheme" which has levels that grant access to different groups. 

If you selected the right type of field for "functional team" (specifically a group picker, and you have you groups set up appropriately), then that should restrict issues by that field.  Only problem is that people could create issues that then vanish from their view if they pick a group they're not in.

Frank Yu May 19, 2016

Thanks, Nick.

Unfortunately, the original design of screen used a select list (single choice), all of team names in the select list are not fully consistent with group names yet. Do you think your solution is available for my realistic situation? If not, what should I do to meet my goal? Change field type (select list->group picker) and remapping existing field to the changed group picker? I appreciate for your feedback.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2016

Swapping to a group picker would be the easiest solution - although I'd add the group picker and get it working the way you need before migrating and removing the old field.

Suggest an answer