Can I render HTML in a JIRA? (JIRA Version: 3.13.4)

Juliette_Vincent October 4, 2016

Open to wacky suggestions!

I want an HTML table to display, not as HTML but as the actual table. I am aware that this can be done on pages on which the user has the capacity to enter data into fields, such as on the "Edit this issue" page, (by entering the HTML into a field's description), but I need it to display in the JIRA itself.

I am using JIRA version 3.13.4, and upgrading to a later version is unfortunately not an option.
Thanks! 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2016

I don't understand where this table should go?  "In the JIRA itself" contradicts "the user has the capacity to enter data into fields"

Seriously though, upgrade.

It isn't a contradiction. When a user clicks into the JIRA to view it they have the capacity to enter comments... they do not have the capacity to add or modify the values stored in fields. They gain that capacity when they move onto a different page.

This matters because each field has a description, which displays if the user can add or modify the values stored in fields, such as when on the "Edit this issue" page. If I add HTML to the description, it will render on the page. But if the user is simply viewing the JIRA, the descriptions are not present, therefore neither is the HTML.

I was deliberately vague about the location of the HTML table, because I'll take any suggestion at this point, whether it's displaying it within a field, or a comment, or elsewhere on the page.

Believe me, upgrading really, really isn't possible. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2016

This still doesn't answer the question.  Where do you want this table to go?  Let me ask this differently.  Is this table issue data, or is it static non-issue data?

What do you mean by issue data or static non-issue data?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2016

Does the data in your table belong to the issue being displayed?  Like the fields ("in the JIRA")?  Or is it a static block of stuff that you want to display on the view screen (i.e. not in the JIRA)

The table will contain hard-coded data. It does not need to be dependent on the values within fields, or the workflow, or anything else.

I suppose the ideal location would be for it to be positioned at the top of the JIRA where the custom fields are located. This area as far as I know doesn't have a name, it just displays at the top of every JIRA, and contains the custom fields and their values.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2016

Ok, you've got two options

1. Hack the JIRA display code to insert it manually (not recommended)
  2. Use an add-on to provide it  (strongly recommended)

I say that because the JIRA Toolkit does exactly what you describe with putting it in the "area where custom fields are located".  Have a look at the old versions for it and find the highest that works for 3.13 and install it.  Then go to "add custom field" and look for "message field for view".  Add one of them, stick it on the view screen and you'll be able to put html into the default value for it, which will then render a table on issue view.

Sounds ideal. Unfortunately the download link for the version I would need is broken, and I can't find it anywhere else, but I've emailed Atlassian to ask if they can fix it:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.toolkit/versions 

Thanks very much for your help, and for persevering through the explanation. 

Suggest an answer