Can I remove options from a Custom Field but keep the historical data?

Morgan Thunder May 25, 2016

I want to delete various options from a 'Project' selector custom field as many of the projects listed have been archived. However, although I no longer want these projects to appear as options in that custom field, I still want a record that those old projects were selected for it in the archived projects.

If I re-configure the custom field and remove certain projects, will their selection on old tickets also be deleted?

If so, is there any way to remove/hide them from the list of options but keep the data in all the old tickets?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2016

Depends.  If it's a genuine project-picker, then its list of items is drawn from the projects in your system, so deleting isn't an option.

If it's a simple select list, then it's easy - disable the options, don't delete them.  Deletion strips the values, disabling it just means they can't be added to issues any more, but won't stop old issues having it, or it being searched.

0 votes
Morgan Thunder May 25, 2016

Oh - the 'disable' button! Woops. Should have tried myself for a bit longer before asking!

Suggest an answer