Can I remove/edit footer text and "About Jira" from profile drop down.

Mohin Uddin July 4, 2013

Hi Expert,

Can I remove/edit footer text and menu list(About Jira) In Jira.

Have a look screen shot below:

Thanks

Mohin

2 answers

2 votes
Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2013

You can adjust the footer of Jira to be how you would want it to be but bear in mind that the Powered by Atlassian link cannot be removed. Refer to clause 7 of the End User License Agreement for further details on this.

1. Open up your $JIRA_INSTALL/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/templates/plugins/footer/footer.vm file in a text editor.
  2. Refer to this page on velocity template modifications suggestions.

For the About JIRA option, you can perform the following:

1. Open up your $JIRA_INSTALL/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/webfragment/system-user-nav-bar-sections.xml
  2. Remove the section below:
<web-item key="view_about" name="View About" section="system.user.options/jira-help" i18n-name-key="webfragments.user.options.item.about.name" weight="40">
<label key="about.jira.name" />
<tooltip key="about.jira.tooltip" />
<link linkId="view_about">$externalLinkUtil.getProperty('external.link.jira.product.site')</link>
</web-item>

Once this has been done, you can restart Jira for the changes to take effect.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 4, 2013

The "about Jira" in the menu - I can't remember exactly which module it is, but you can turn it off in "plugins". I seem to remember you also lose "online help" and a couple of other things too.

As for the footer, it's illegal for you to remove it. You may edit it, as long as you leave in the "powered by atlassian Jira" with its link. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Modifying+the+JIRA+Footer for the exact rules and where to do it.

Vinay Kumar August 25, 2015

Hi Nic, Can you please let us know what is the Plugin to Disable About JIRA in Help and JIRA Credits in Help. Is there a way i can hide or disable these two option from the help menu. And in our customization we kept Attlassian Logo in the Footer and Hided Atlassian Jira Project Manager Software link - About Jira - Report a Problem using the Footer.VM file I hope that should be fine in terms of Licence agreement. Please suggest. Thanks in advance!!! Vinay

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2015

I'm not sure that it is - the thing you need to keep in the footer is "Powered by Atlassian" with the link to Atlassian's site (not the the logo) I can't remember which addon it is - work your way through the system plugins to see it.

Suggest an answer