Can I "hide" a transition?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2013

I have a workflow transition that is used rarely and is only available to system administrators.

Is there a way to hide this transition on the Workflow diagram?

(Previous edit said "step" when I meant "Transition")

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2013

To my knowledge, even inactive steps will be displayed in the workflow diagram.

I believe this cannot be achieved with current releases of JIRA.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2013

I can confirm that - the viewer will show all of the workflow, irrespective of conditions.

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2013

You can hide 'Transition' either :(

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2013

I said "step" when I meant "Transition."

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2013

You can't hide 'Transition' either :(

0 votes
Manali Butey June 8, 2021

Hi @George Carvill / @Vishnukumar Vasudevan / @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Is this still not possible ?

TIA

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2021

No, the workflow view does not hide transitions just because the current user might not be able to see them.

It would be a massive pain, and a lie, to do it anyway.  Think through these scenarios:

User thinks "I want to reopen an issue".   No option to do it, can't see a transition for it on the diagram, they have to bother an admin, or just not do it and end up duplicating the issue, or even failing to raise it.  If the line is shown, they at least know there is a possibility of the right way to do it and they will ask the project owner who can explain why they can't do it

You'd need to code all the conditions and permissions into the workflow viewer so that it would always be able to work out whether a transition should be shown

How confusing would it be to look at two issues, same type, different workflows because there's a condition like "you can't use this if field X is not set" on the workflow?

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2013

You can try to remove all incoming and outgoing transitions from that step and that way it will be hidden. Also make sure that there are no issues in that status before you remove the outgoing transitions.

In any case, you will not be allowed to edit an active workflow, so you will have to copy it, edit it and migrate your existing project to this new workflow.

Rahul

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2013

But, this will remove the step completly from workflow.

Suggest an answer