Can I quickly create task within a story?

Alesandra Agresti July 21, 2015

Is there a shortcut to quickly create tasks within a story?  It would be great if I could be looking at a story ticket and quickly create tasks that just required a title and would be automatically linked to that story?

Suggestions?

4 answers

4 votes
Arpad Boldog October 12, 2015

You can quickly create subtasks within the story with Plange Editor (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.moresimp.plangle.editor)

And there is very good Hierarchical Epic/Story/Sub-task representation too.

1 vote
Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 11, 2019

Hi Alesandra,

I put together an extension called Agile Docs which lets you do exactly this.

It allows you to create your epics, stories and tasks in a nested google doc and automatically creates relationships between them.

If you want to create a Task which automatically has a relationship with a parent Story, you create a dotpoint under the Story you want to link to like below:

task-link.png

In the above example, the task 'this is a task' belongs to the Story 'This is another story'.

You can check out the demo here.

Let me know what you think :)

Cheers, Rhys.

0 votes

ahhh sub-tasks are not an option for issue type in our project (just epic, story, task, bug & spec change).  I assume we should add sub-task as an option because that default parent/child functionality isn't possible with regular tasks? subtasks only?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2015

Yes, that is correct. You can link stories with tasks but that wouldn't be hierarchical!

Thanks!!

Deleted user August 19, 2020

I don't see the sub task creation option under user story in my project, so do i need any specific add on in market place for the same. Please suggest.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2015

You can create subtasks under the story. Check out https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+a+Sub-Task

Suggest an answer