Can I prevent users from searching dashboards and filters by owners?

christian liveze January 25, 2016

Hello,

We have several customers who use our JIRA instance.  These users are part of a group which have access to the Global Permissions "JIRA Users" and "Browse Users" (so they can mention other users in issues).  For the record, they don't have the "Create Shared Objects" permission.  Each customer can only access their respective project and see only users who are part of the same project (ie. they don't see other customers) when assigning issues or mentioning other users. 

My problem is that with the "Browse Users" Global Permission, customers can see other customers in the Owner field when they search dashboards and filters.

So my question is the following:

Assuming they are no other place in JIRA that my customers would be able to see other customers, is there any way to prevent a group of users to search shared objects by owner? 

I would also consider removing the search option altogether for customers if necessary.

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2016

We limit the pool of users by groups for each project: project1devs, project1users and then assign these groups to the project roles.  This way we can get very granular with who has access to what.

christian liveze January 25, 2016

We do the same and that works at project level.  But users still can see all users in the search filter or search dashboard screens.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2016

Unfortunately, that is a problem. Once they have the permission, they can search on all names. Its all or none!

Suggest an answer