• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can I prevent listing all issues prior to a search?

I have access to multiple projects, whenever I set up a new search, I have to wait for Jira to list some 30k issues, before I can start my search.

I would like the search result to be empty before I have setup the search.

Alternatively, if you could set default project(s) on initial search would go a long way. 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers Community Leader Jan 07, 2021

The setting which Olga mentioned in order to change this behaviour for the whole instance was introduced in Jira v7.9 from what I could find.

In case you can make the situation clear to your Jira administrator I am wondering if they would not be willing to change the setting - in favor to a faster loading Issue Navigator.

I remember we changed the setting to not deliver any results on an instance some months back and the users did not complain - rather on the contrary.

Maybe I am missing a point or did not understand the whole picture. The suggestion of Jack is also nice!

Thanks, I will investegate the possibility to set Disable empty JQL queries = true

1 vote
Olga Videc Community Leader Jan 07, 2021

Hello @Mathias Lundberg 

I'm afraid not, maybe you could change the default behavior of search but this would affect all your users.

But I'm also Jira Administrator in my company for example when I search I have access to 300k issues, but it only shows the first 50, and don't have to wait long, check your performance.

You mentioned the default project, you should save the desired filter, you can create a new filter witch the loads only the desired project and you can continue to search from there, add this filter to your favorite filters.

BR, Olga

It takes some 5 seconds from clicking "search for issues" until the filter component is fully loaded and the number of issues I potentially can filter is displayed, it was actually 150k.

I guess it is the counting of rows that is the problem, not the number of issues displayed in the UI.

I am never interested in seeing the top 50 random issues that I can access, so for me it would make more sense if Jira did not perform any search when clicking the "search for issues" button, the search button is kind of the control for this.....

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Jan 07, 2021 • edited

I hate this as well. It used to be that it would simply recall the previous search. In what world does the current default make any sense? I suggest we all provide Feedback.

edited - interesting... I just saw this is on server and I was thinking cloud. Sort of surprised it is on server this way. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you