Can I prevent deletion of issues with time logged?

I realize deleting issues is something you should not be doing in general. But occasionally we want to delete issues that were created by accident (we do bulk imports that occasionally go wrong).

From what we've found, when you delete an issue, all worklog time logged on that issue is also deleted! We would expect the behaviour to be that you CANNOT delete an issue unless all worklog items are first removed from it. Typically the work logged would be moved to another issue.

Is it possible to prevent issues from being deleted if they have work logged?

Thanks.

3 answers

1 accepted

Hi Nathan,

We use a SpeakEasy plugin and some custom JS to check if the issue can be deleted and eventually disable or hide the delete option from the menu. It is also possible to display some messages to the users in the same way.

Just let me know if you need some examples.

Hi Nathan,

We do have one instance that the issue was deleted accidentally. In Jira, if you have the delete permission then you can delete an issue even if it has a work log. The case is there is no facility in Jira that will restore the worklog and comments easily. There will be manual thing that you need to do. If you have 160+ comments/worklog it will really take your time.

Now, my concern is the same, I would like to have a message box before deletion. The message box will display a message that the issue have work log and comments. Deleting it will remove all of them. Then there will be Yes/No button.

Is it possible in using speakeasy plus JS? Can you share sample seetings in SpeakEasy and codes in JS?

Cheers.

Hi, sorry for the late answer.

SpeakEasy is mainly pure JS.

If you install the plugin in Jira you can create a simple example plugin over the installation wizard in user profile -> extensions panel.

Chreers

Thanks for your reply. Do you think my requirements is possible using speakeasy and JS?

Another question, after you created a plugin speakeasy + JS, can you deploy that globally or it's per profile?

Thanks.

Hi you can do both:

- enable the plugin globally - that means that users being members of groups configured to be users of SE --> done over SE configuration page, get the plugin enabled (and they can not turn it off).

- install the plugin and leave the users to decide if they want to enable the extension or not.

You can find some informations in the docs https://developer.atlassian.com/display/DOCS/Speakeasy or just download some cool SE plugins from atlassians marketplace.

A good blog entry showing the possibilities of SE: http://blogs.onresolve.com/2011/04/speakeasy-baby-steps/

Cheers

Hi!

This plugin is not support JIRA new versions =/

There is another way of doing this reminder?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,789 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot