Can I notify a user who was entered into a user picker field when an issue is created?

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2013

When I create an issue, I also can enter usernames into a custom field "Participants". I'd like the participants to get notified when the issue is created. The participants are different for each issue, so I can't just add them to the notification scheme on the create action. Is there any way to notify people in an on-demand fashion like this?

As I write this out, an idea comes to mind: Maybe programatically add them as watchers in the post function? I'll investigate that, but in the mean time, please let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2013

Have you tried modifying the notification scheme to include "Participants" field for "Issue Created" event?

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2013

I didn't even realize you could notify the value of a custom field. Thanks so much!

0 votes
Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2013

the theory seems right...i added a post function so that the field "Watchers" will take the value from "participants" but in practice, when I create the issue, it's created with no watchers (even though i entered someone as a participant). any thoughts?

Suggest an answer