Can I manage/influence search results of the knowledge base

Deleted user September 8, 2016

Hi all,

As we are setting up a new Service Desk I'm experimenting with a Confluence knowledge base that is used when customers enter a new ticket. One of the things that I noticed is that the kb is searched on all terms used in the ticket. As this also includes frequently used words like "it".

Is there a way to "teach" the search engine to skip certain words? As almost every article in the kb will contain words like "it", "a" and "is" I'd like to prevent showing a lot of articles that have absolutely no relevance to the ticket.

Have fun!

Joost

3 answers

0 votes
Glauco
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2016

Hello Joost,

There is a stop word list containing Dutch words named "dutch_stop.txt". I guess it is possible to manage this list by following the instructions at this link: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/37030881

Keep in mind that this workaround is valid only for server based version.

Glauco

Deleted user September 13, 2016

Hi Glauco,

The story of our lives: "only for server based version". At the moment we are still considering the cloud based version and to be honest it only gets worse and worse. It's in the details but there are to many of them...

So if we can turn the management around and move to the server based versions we can continue with Jira but if not I guess there are to many details that push us to look for an alternative.

Have fun!

Joost

0 votes
Deleted user September 11, 2016

Hi Glauco,

Thanks for your answer. As I'm mainly serving Dutch customers I'll be needing a way to manage those stop words as now they are in English.

Do you know if it's possible to edit the stop words in the cloud based version? And if not: do I have the option to do so in the server based version? We're still having to decide if we will use the server of cloud based version...

Have fun!

Joost

0 votes
Glauco
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 9, 2016

Hi Joost,

You can use double quotes to search for a phrase that contains words like 'it', 'a' or 'is'.

e.g.: If you search for the phrase "confluence is a new way for teams to work together", the words 'is', 'a' and ‘o’ will be ignored.

As stated in Confluence's documentation: "Confluence will ignore common words (stop words), including 'and', 'the', 'or', and more, even if they are included within double quotes. See the default list of stop words used by Confluence's search engine, Lucene, in the Lucene documentation."

Glauco

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events