Can I make the Default Assignee a specific User?

DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2014

The only choices I see in the dropdown for Default Assignee are "Unassigned" and "Project Lead" I'd like to specify a User by name. Can I not do that?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2014

You can use Groovy runner plugin for this. You have to edit the workflow but it won't impact other projects. Here's my workaround,

1. Create a project role called 'Default Assignee'.
  2. Edit the workflow and add a post function to 'Create' transition. (before Open status)
  3. Add a 'Script Post Function' and under parameters click 'Assign to first member of role'.
  4. Under 'Role' drop down, select 'Default Assignee' role.
  5. Publish the workflow.
  6. In projects where you need a default assignee, add that user to 'Default Assignee' role.
  7. In projects where you need the default assignee to be 'Unassigned' or project lead, leave the role empty (no members).

You can even get the source of 'Assigne to first member of role' script and customize according to your requirement. Eg. if assignee has been alerady selected by issue creator, do not modify it

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2014
DI2E Licensing
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2014

Sorry. I should have added more details.

Yes, I realize I could modify the workflow to do this. My preference would be NOT to do that.

So I guess my question is better asked with the qualification "without modifying the workflow"?

I have several different projects using the same Simplified Agile Workflow and would prefer they all continue to use the same workflow, hence my reluctance.

Suggest an answer