Can I make a 500page.jsp customized like the 404page.jsp?

Dan Shick January 29, 2014

The 404 page that JIRA serves is a well composed, branded error page that is pleasant for customers to look at. The 500 page is not, and contains a dump of sensitive information. I've had to substitute in a custom 500 page to prevent our system information showing up to external customers, but it lacks the verve of the 404 page.

Does JIRA supply the resources to craft a 500 page that is similar to the 404 page? I've looked into the contents of 404page.jsp: in particular, there are elements of the 404 page that I'm not sure translate to the 500 page:
TextUtils.htmlEncode(i18nBean.getText("404.title")) TextUtils.htmlEncode(i18nBean.getText("404.message"))
Do the equivalent 500.title and 500.message resources exist? Can they be created/viewed/customized anywhere inside JIRA? Is there documentation on how to use TextUtils?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2014

If you're using jira 6.1.x there is error500.soy file located in WEB-INF/classes/templates/jira/errors folder that you can customize

If you're on JIRA 6.0.x there is a 500page.jsp which you should customize to meet your needs - just search where exaclty it is located on the file system.

Suggest an answer