Can I link two on premise instances of JIRA?

Bonita Davis December 12, 2016

We are working with a company who already use JIRA and have an on premise version of the software. If we were to also purchase JIRA on premise, could we link the two instances so that we could create issues in our instance and have them appear in the other company's instance? We want to avoid re-keying of issues into each instance and also benefit from the comments and status updates happening in both systems so that they both have the most current content. Is this possible?

3 answers

1 vote
francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 12, 2016

(thanks Nic)

Hi Bonita,

I'm from Exalate - we organise a small workshop to get your synchronisation in place.  
Feel free to book a meeting at https://exalate-demo.youcanbook.me at your convenience.

Francis

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2016

You could try to build something to do this yourself, but the better option by far is to use add-ons to do it.

I've had a lot of success with K15t's Backbone add-on recently, and Exalate a few versions back.  Both are worth a look.

Bonita Davis December 12, 2016

Thanks Nic, I'm not a developer so I can't build anything myself. I'll have a look at the applications you suggested, but I was hoping not to have to get another service to do this. Is this not something that JIRA support out of the box?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2016

No, it's not off-the-shelf, as JIRA is built to be an issue-tracker available to all.  It's mostly expecting to be used as a single instance when you've got sets of people who work together.

Synchronisation is a useful thing in some cases, but it's far outside what I'd expect from a standard issue tracker.  Atlassian leave these less-common usages to be done by the ecosystem.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2016

Take a look at ConnectAll too. Worth evaluating the different options.

Suggest an answer