Can I limit the number of roles a Project lead sees in the project admin section?

Kristin Norberg Ohlsson December 16, 2014

In our JIRA we have many different types of roles and I have defined new roles which will only be applicaple for some projects (no other roles will be applicable to these projects either). in the project admin section I would like "my" roles to be the only ones visible but now all available roles in JIRA are visible even if we will only use a subset of them. Is there any way to limit which roles are shown in the project admin?

I have noticed that the permission scheme has nothing to do with it (from what I can see): I have only given permissions to my newly created roles but all the rest aree shown anyway.

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Charles Wells December 17, 2014

By default, all roles are available in all projects. That said, not all projects (or project administrators) may choose to make use of all roles. So it does depend on their purpose and how they are used in various schemes and configurations. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Roles

It's a good idea to publicly document items such as permission schemes that leverage roles so your project admins know how to best use the roles to accomplish their needs. 

Kristin Norberg Ohlsson December 17, 2014

Thanks! I am currently documenting the setup and will align on the roles.

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2014

Not out of the box. Roles are defined at the global level. You may want to see if you can make the names more general so they fit the different roles in the projects. More roles also complicates the options in the permission scheme.

Kristin Norberg Ohlsson December 17, 2014

Thanks! I'll look over my implementation again and see how I can manage it.

Suggest an answer