Can I integrate portfolio v2 with existing Jira projects?

James Furness August 2, 2016

Hi, We started a project 3 months ago and have been, for the last month, trying to configure the latest version of Portfolio to work with our existing cloud JIRA boards. I have read conflicting reports suggesting that this is possible and that this isn't possible. From what we have seen, it's pretty much impossible to use on existing projects and works pretty well if you set up a new blank project and new portfolio at the same time, before any issues are added in. Has anyone else found this or are we doing something wrong?

9 answers

0 votes

Yeah we set up the versions in JIRA, selected them when setting up Portfolio and some have tracked through, some haven't.

It's really strange

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2016

Can I ask if you imported all the Versions? This seems atypical. 

When I import issues linked to releases, I see them linked already. I am working on a Portfolio Demo already so I'll try and reproduce it myself as time allows.

0 votes

So now we seem stuck at this point and can't change anything. If we do, and want to mirror JIRA as it should, once we commit the changes, JIRA goes up the wall. It's driving us crazy here!

0 votes

Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 17.10.25.png

0 votes

Here's a quick example, so no estimates have tracked through from Jira, all (pretty much) of the releases show 'later' despite the issues being linked to releases already in JIRA and the timeline is completely screwed up as it is showing our plan to run into December despite the info in JIRA only being mapped until the end of September (on this particular microservice)

0 votes

Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 17.07.40.png

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2016

It sounds like you're explicitly hitting a limitation of the UI when you state the following – 

If I set up a blank instance it's fine, but it won't allow me to do this on the existing projects.

Can you please use screenshots to show this problem to me? Sorry to prompt for more information but again, things seem to work as intended for me.

For instance, I can't do much to change Sprints that are already in-progress or planned when importing to Portfolio, but that seems intentional. 

0 votes

Hi Steven, 

Thanks for getting in touch. We just cannot seem to get anything to configure correctly when adding as existing project. So, we're currently in Sprint 6 of the project, so quite a bit of development has been done. We have an extensive backlog of items yet to play and can match these against our roadmap so we know when they should be played. Once we add the projects to Portfolio, it maps out the project based upon the capacity we have given it, however, it won't allow us to change sprint dates, or add a team of developers to more than 2 projects. Essentially, we have a dev team working across 15 microservices. Each micro service has it's own JIRA project (clients idea). Our teams are building a thin slice across all services and need to be attached to multiple projects. If I set up a blank instance it's fine, but it won't allow me to do this on the existing projects.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 2, 2016

Can I ask what the problem is, or ask that you expand further? I don't experience any issues starting with existing projects.

Suggest an answer