Can I install Jira Software and Jira Service Desk on separate Servers

I am just about to puchase Service Desk and Software. Can these two apps be installed on to separate servers and still interact? Do they both need to be accessing a single database?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2017

You can put them on separate servers, but they will be separate applications. 

Both Software and Service Desk are applications that add functionality to JIRA Core, but are still based on issues in projects.   As you will be installing them as two servers, there will be two sets of issues, and there will not be any "interaction" unless you set something up to allow them to talk to each other.   They will need separate databases, as a JIRA installation needs exclusive access to its own database.

If you want them to work together, the best option is to install a single JIRA Core with both applications installed.  I generally recommend installing JIRA Software (i.e. Core + Software) and then adding Service Desk second.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2017

Hello Nic,

Isn't JSD a separate application altogether i.e. no longer a plugin. It can be integrated via application link with JIRA software

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-desk/download

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2017

No, Software and Service desk are JIRA applications.  They're not add-ons, but neither are they "separate applications".

They are applications that add functionality to JIRA Core.  They do not run standalone, they run inside (or on top of if you like) JIRA Core.

The downloads you can get for JIRA are

• JIRA Core
  • JIRA Software (JIRA Core with the Software application pre-installed)
  • JIRA Service Desk (JIRA Core with the Service Desk application pre-installed)

An application link between two JIRA instances will not provide much more than simple linking between two separate installations.  It won't provide what you get from having the two applications installed on the same JIRA instance because the issues are totally separate.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2017

Yes, Indeed. I do know about JIRA software using JIRA core since I also manage JIRA Software at a client. But in this case what's the best possible way to install JSD on the existing JIRA software application as the plugin option is no longer present.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2017

You add an application via "manage applications" in the admin menus.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2017

Thanks Nic, now it's clear. I see the option of "JIRA Service Desk" trial in the manage application section. So I guess it will download the obr file and install it automatically or I can do the same manually from here

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.servicedesk.application/versions?_ga=1.185168810.261312297.1471010562

I find it a bit confusing that there isn't any download of all the 3 (core+software+jsd) on page as that would have made it clear that it's the same JIRA instances having 2 applications on top core. Just like in case of JIRA software running on top of core.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2017

Yes, it is something I've asked Atlassian about.  I didn't get a quotable answer to why there isn't the obvious fourth download option!

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2017

Yes, I have been working with Atlassian tools for quite some time and this really confused me, will be nerve wrecking for beginners.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2017

Especially if someone uses the term "application" that kind of has an implicit connotation of something independently deployable smile

jerod_moore August 7, 2018

Recommend they place a more prominent call out for the "app" application or whatever they would like to call it in Jira Software and Jira Core.

Kinda a hard to find one off spot.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 7, 2018

The current choice of "application", "app", and indeed "Cloud", "Server" and "Data Centre" are poor choices of words for the current things you might want to install in my opinion.  Some of the older words were really clunky, but more clear, and there was little wrong with add-on so I don't get why they chose to confuse it with a contraction of application which means something different.

John October 30, 2019

HI Nic,

I installed and configured JSD on AWS Linux and it worked fine.  I tried to install Jira software from Application -> Upload an Application from this GUI.  The file I downloaded is .obr.  After installed Jira application .obr, rebooted server, it showed up that Jira Software in this Application.  However, it said Jira software currently is not installed.  When I click on Download, it opened new window to download the big file .bin (where I chose Linux 64bit file to install).  My question is how I install this jira software .bin?  Go to Linux terminal to install?  I followed tech notes to install Jira software on top of JSD software.  Please help.  Thank you so much.JSD and Jira.JPG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2019

You do not install the bin file - that will be a separate installation (or scrub your current install)

Instead of downloading and uploading manually, try the download option in the screen in your screenshot.

John November 8, 2019

Jira update.JPGJIra screen download.JPGWhen I clicked on "download" that showed on my screen shot, it opened window Update Jira Software.  I clicked on download, it opened the Download page that allows me to choose OS.  My JSD application installed and worked fine on AWS Linux cloud so I don't know I should download Linux version or Window version because I don't know the installation is on Application GUI on JSD browser (Upload Application) or I have to login Linux terminal to install.  Here are two files that the page above gave to me after I clicked on Download.

Jira software file.JPG

Suggest an answer