• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Can I increase the number of options shown for a selection type field? Also, can the width of the drop down menu be increased so you can see the full text option?

Can I increase the number of options shown for a selection type field? Also, can the width of the drop down menu be increased so you can see the full text option?

Lesley Jones March 16, 2014

1) In JIRA 4.4, a field which could have many selectable options (such as the Component/s field) would show you the whole list and let you scroll down to pick your option. Admittedly if the list was too long, it wouldn't actually accept the selection from near the bottom of the list which was annoying, but at least you could see what options were available to start typing a value to filter the list.

In JIRA 6.1.7, this has changed - you are shown a very limited length list with a note at the bottom saying to start typing to filter the list if you can't see the value you need.

This solution is flawed - because you may not know what to type to filter the list far enough!

Is it possible to configure JIRA 6.1.7 to go back to the JIRA 4.4 approach please? - I can't see an option governing this in the Systema General Config area.

Update: Example image added showing a drop-down list of Components with 'Service' in their title. There are 7 more, but to filter the list further you are going to need to know the name of the component. The whole pint of a drop-down list is that you shouldn't have to know this. in v4.4 there was not this imposed cut-off for the number of items that would be shown.

At least I would add the image if the advanced image tool would let me!

2) Also, the drop down list box is not wide enough to show the full option text.

Can this be adjusted too?

Many thanks, Lesley

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2014
Lesley Jones March 17, 2014

Hi Boris,

Thank you for this. Unfortunately it does not quite answer my question because 2 of the fields I am having problems with are JIRA standard fields - the drop down lists for the Component/s and the Projects fields e.g. on issue creation.

The Component/s list doesn't show all the options

Some of the project names are long, therefore truncated, and common across the initial part of the name making it impossible to see which you are picking. This is also a problem in the import wizard.

I tried to add pictures to show the problem but can't find anywhere to put them to make the upload image tool work :(

Any further suggestions would be very welcome.

Many thanks, Lesley

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2014

Use the Upload (the blue arrow icon in the toolbar)

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2014

Okay I found a way around the problem with number of components - if you modify initComponentPicker.js webapp/includes/jira/field/initComponentPickers.js and change maxInlineResultsDisplayed to more than 15 it should work.

I've tested this by modifying it in Chrone dev tools console, but you should be able to make it permanent if you modify that js file

0 votes
mapscape June 18, 2014

Hi Boris i tried that but is not working in Jira 6.1.7.

0 votes
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2014

What's the exact type of the field, because I do not see that happening with Single Select custom field?

Suggest an answer