Can I have two states (statuses) of closed on one workflow?

John Shinaver November 15, 2017

Hey!

A little bit of background - I am working with an emerging Agile team that is working in a majority waterfall environment. So this can be tricky...

One thing that will help us fit in to all of this, is having "two states (statuses) of closed".

Meaning, that our Agile team can work within a Scrum board, complete their Sprints and close all issues in their sprint.

Once those issues are closed, our Sprint Metrics (reporting) are recorded for the Agile team - then another waterfall team can pick those "closed" issues up, reopen them and begin working with them in their workflow, hopefully without affecting our historical Sprint Metrics. Then of course, that team would be able to close them again on their own board/workflow using their own "closed" state.

My question is - is possible to have two states of closed within a workflow?

An example of the states would be:

• Closed - Business
  • Closed - Development

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2017

Absolutely, you can have as many closed type states as you need. 

For the purposes of the board, reporting, and the processes working, you must make sure your closed status are mapped to the far right hand column in the board.

John Shinaver November 15, 2017

Great!!

Is it then possible for an issue closed with "closed status 1" by Team 1, to be reopened within the same project (maybe the same board), then reclosed with "closed status 2", without affecting Team 1's Sprint Metrics?

Thanks so much for the quick and awesome reply!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2017

No, it won't work on the same board - there's an annoying design flaw that Atlassian won't fix that means you can't drag a card between status in the same column, and you can't use two columns because one of them would no longer be "done"

I would have board 1 for Team 1 include both status in the right-hand column, and then as Team 2 to use a separate board, which probably has one column for each status.

Suggest an answer