Can I have separate urls for Service Desk and JIRA Software if both reside on the same server?

Teresa Hollidge July 8, 2016

We currently have 2 separate instances of JIRA - one for development and one for support. We are considering combining the instances and adding Service Desk for use by the support team. Will it be possible to continue use both of the URLs our customers (and engineers) have become accustomed to even though a single instance of JIRA Software and JIRA Service Desk will reside a single server (for example, support.mycompany.com to access servicedesk projects and jira.mycompany.com to access JIRA Software projects)?

We're being told that we will. My question is how? I haven't found anything in the docs that explains this. I'm new to Service Desk but I'm not new to JIRA and Confluence.

Thanks! Teresa

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2016

Simple answer is "No", but with some workarounds.

JIRA, and hence anything you install in it, has a single base url which is used for all operations.  You really do have to run it all on a single URL.

As far as the service is concerned, that's it.  But you can get a bit clever with your network.  One very simple fix is to use a redirect so that people landing on one of the old urls have the connection automatically punted over to the right part under the base url.  If you want to be a bit more sophisticated, you can use proxies to pull information from one url and represent it under another.  This will fail you at some point though, with the user clicking on something based on the main base url.  Another option is rewrites, where an intermediate webserver fakes the urls in use, but again, unless you're very careful and catch everything correctly, your users may well land on the main url again.

Teresa Hollidge July 8, 2016

Thanks for the speedy and complete answer, Nic!

It's as I suspected. And since we're dealing with a hosted server instance, multiple corporate firewalls, integrating with multiple Confluence instances, and so on, things will probably fail rather quickly.

Suggest an answer