Can I have old previous sprint open with bugs and a new sprint ongoing?

Ana Schnepf January 13, 2020

Hi team,

currently using Jira in a project where we need some suggestions to manage below:

The team flow has designer team (first team to go), then input from DEV team (second team to go) and QA team (testing team) - so far no issue here .

We have structure all sprints with having a story that has several child tickets (design task, dev task and finally QA task = tickets)

When we have a 2 week sprint ongoing and we have our stories open and each with several tasks.

ISSUE:

some stories are completed BUT during testing = QA = we encounter BUGS that need again to be checked by DEV team and again tested after updates....

Problem is that this happens at the end of the 2 weeks and we need to start working on the next new sprint.

Can we have two sprints open at the same time?

the previous one with open stories that have ongoing bug tickets 

and

new sprint that has new tasks to be started

TEAM says no issues on working on both since new sprint has tasks for other teams to start with.

thank you for the hep on this one

1 answer

0 votes
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2020

Hello @Ana Schnepf

This is one of those scenarios that you can manage in a myriad of ways, depending on how you want to track the ongoing work as it flows through your teams (one ticket that flows or one for each step, for example). 

In terms of support, you can create multiple parallel sprints and open/close them independently, moving issues from one to the other as you see fit. See the docs page for detailed information: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/using-parallel-sprints-797737030.html

Note: it only works for classic projects

Ana Schnepf January 14, 2020

Hi Fernando, thank in advance for taking time to help me out.

Nevertheless my question is nor about paralell sprints or multiple paralell sprints...my doubt is when I have a sprint that already should have finished BUT still has bug tickets that need again DEV and QA input, at the same time that I already started a new sprint with new stories.

I am the project manager and product owner, meaning that I see stories and sprints in my project, rather then list of tasks. 

Can I have 2 sprints open? Old one not yet finished due to BUGs identified from that sprint and a mew sprint started where several other teams including DEV tem has assigned tasks.

I just need advise on if this is possible since our project is considerably small and well managed and controlled.

Thank you again

Like Fernando Bordallo likes this
Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 14, 2020

Hello again @Ana Schnepf

sorry, that is what I meant. When I talk about parallel sprints I'm pointing out a feature that allows you to have multiple sprints running, regardless of when they start or stop.

With this in mind, you can open a sprint, having XYZ tickets, open the next one when the right time comes with ABC, and manage both independently as you see fit.

Suggest an answer