Can I have guest users without using a license

Chad Moutes May 25, 2016

Hello,

I am interested in getting JIRA for my team, and we would like to have our clients be able to login and view recent activity and issue status'. They do not need to be able to create issues or comment or anything like that. We just need them to be able to view their project. Is this possible without creating them a user and using up one of our licenses?

Thanks,

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2016

Hi Chad,

Anyone who can log in counts against your user license so the only way with native JIRA for users to view tickets without them counting against your license would be to make the relevant JIRA projects "public" so they didn't have to log in. Possibly not what you'd want to do though as that would mean client A would be able to see client B's tickets and vice versa because there would be no way of restricting who could see what.

JIRA Service Desk has a free, unlimited client/customer model, so that might be worth looking at? You pay for "agents", who are your internal people that are managing tickets, but customers/clients can create, view and comment on tickets for free. JIRA Service Desk clients/customers are still logging in so you can set relevant permissions so they only see their own tickets.

Does that help?

Andrew.

Chad Moutes May 26, 2016

Thanks Andrew! That is exactly what I needed to know!

Harinath Selvaraj September 12, 2017

Hi Andrew, I too have the same requirement. Our software development team has 10 employees and we need nearly 50 guest access for our clients to create tickets & view the status. I am planning to buy the combination of Jira Service Desk & Jira Software so that our customers can create a ticket in Jira Service Desk and our employees can work on Jira Software to fix the issues. Is there any automated flow to clone the tickets in Jira Software that are already created in Jira Service Desk? I don't want to create and manage tickets/issues in both the apps.

Like Elena Buzila likes this
Luke Siedle December 19, 2018

Hi @Harinath Selvaraj based on your comment above, did this solution work for you? We have a similar challenge where we have a small team but many customers that need access to view tickets and transition them as well. 

Like Elena Buzila likes this
brandonmcconnell May 1, 2020

I have a similar situation on my hands and its the determining factor in deciding whether we use Jira for our project management or another solution entirely.

Like # people like this
danelige June 24, 2020

no guest function = no Jira!

i dont like Asana, but it does have a generous guest function.
Clubhouse has Observers...

Gary Gaspar October 21, 2022

You should check out marker.io and the native Jira integration. Allows guests to report feedback into Jira, without having access. 

0 votes
Irina_Bel_Stiltsoft_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 17, 2023

Hi @Chad Moutes ,

If you don't mind using the app for this goal, I can suggest one. It takes you 1 minute to set up a customer portal from any Jira Cloud project and let your customers feed requests into it and see what the team is working on. The app works as a 'Jira mirror' but with a simpler interface and cleaner overall experience.

And it's definitely cheaper than having Jira licenses for each client. You can calculate the price on the marketplace for your company. Marketplace apps are billed for the number of users in your Jira instance. So you don't pay for customers and don't admin them. I hope this solution meets your case.

Suggest an answer