Can I have a different login id and username in JIRA for single user

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2013

Hi ,

I need to know if I can have different login ID and username for the user in JIRA .

Consider user ABCD (ABCD is the username using which the user logins) now I want the username which is displaying to be XYZ in JIRA .

Can I do this using CROWD aliases ?

If yes how ?

Can someone explain in detail .

4 answers

2 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2013

yes with aliasing enabled you can set a different login ID per authorized app.

just browse your user details in crowd, select applications (make your choice), view the "Options" Tab and activate "Enable Aliasing:"

see more details here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Specifying+a+User%27s+Aliases

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2013

Hi Faysal ,

What I understood from the documentation is that I can have aliases for a user for different application . So a user now can login with his Alias name . I want the login name to be same but only change the username in JIRA .

eg: primary username : faysal

alias in JIRA : c.faysal

now user should login to JIRA using "faysal" but the username displayed in the userprofile and userpicker fields should show "c.faysal"

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2013

Full name is different and username is different , username is unique while Fullname can be same for many users .

I guess i will have to install crowd and try this out whether login id and username can be different

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2013

i see. isn't this the "Full Name" that can be edited by the user himself? (don't know if rw needs to be set on the directory)

you're right...the alias is for login name only.

login=c.faysal

alias=faysal

Full Name = C. Faysal (Thats Name & Lastname...set in crowd too. is not beeing aliased)

something like this

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2013

isn't the username quite the same like what you use to login?

i mean like username=login id

that's where aliasing takes effect.

0 votes
bs-thomas October 2, 2018

poke

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2013

Poked Atlassian ....................................................................

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2013

I have created an Alias for a user and the user can login with the same prmary username but the username in JIRA appears as the alias . but the user cannot see the assigned issues and i observed that now there are 2 users created in one belongs to JIRA internal directory and one Belongs to JIRA server . Y is this happening ? Is this a normal behavior ?

Suggest an answer